Monday, April 18, 2011

Why so public? I am too afraid.

I've been asked "why is your psoriasis awareness campaign so public considering many people with psoriasis are afraid of public scrutiny and judgement."

My answer is "Exactly"

It is sad and I am no better, I hid my disease for years and wouldn't talk about it so I'm not judging anyone who isn't ready,  I'll be here to help when you are. However with that said there is an unbelieveable number of us who are ready and willing, just looking for a way and means, I hope to provide that way and means. I guess I'm trying to give leadership and encouragement to a group that are too often overlooked and misunderstood.

Private chat rooms are a great, secure place for people to discuss things that are personal or issues that they are not ready to make public. What they don't do is inform and educate the public and we have been our own worst enemy. We don't need to put it in their face but we can start be talking about it publicly.

Psoriasis is not our fault. Nor is Cancer, Arthritis or Alzheimer's for the people who suffer from those diseases. One thing that is overwhelmingly different is public awareness. Each of those diseases were unheard of for many years until someone said "I am going to make a difference and change that." Then a funny thing happened, it caught on, others joined them and now they have hugely successful orginizations. But even more than that, they have public support and understanding.

It will be no different for us. People with psoriasis and their support networks of friends and family are ready to help, I know it, you know it.

Now you know "Exactly" why I am doing what I am doing.

Andrew

1 comment: